Jon Eckhardt is a transactional real estate attorney who joined Sherry Meyerhoff Hanson & Crance LLP in 2006 as an associate. His practice focuses on commercial real estate and financing transactions. Jon often assists clients with acquisitions, dispositions, development projects, entity formation, corporate restructuring, easements, condemnations, loan assumptions, and general corporate legal matters involving medical office buildings, senior housing, hotels, retail shopping centers and other commercial properties throughout the United States. Jon has represented real estate investment trusts (REITs), private equity firms and other real estate investors. Before becoming a lawyer, Jon served as a captain in the United States Marine Corps and as a policy writer and contract negotiator for Washington Mutual Bank.
- Ongoing representation of two publicly traded REITs in connection with the acquisition and leasing of healthcare facilities.
- Assisted in the representation of Nationwide Health Properties, Inc. in its $7.4 billion merger transaction with Ventas, Inc., and the assumption of over $450 million in secured debt, including several CMBS and Fannie Mae loans
- Assisted a publicly traded REIT in the formation, dissolution, restructuring, corporate maintenance and reporting of over 250 subsidiary entities
- Assisted in the representation of a client in the assumption of existing Fannie Mae financing in connection with its $100 million acquisition of a portfolio of properties
- Represented clients in multiple 1031 exchanges
- J.D., Chapman University School of Law, 2005
- M.S.A., Central Michigan University, 2000
- B.A., Hillsdale College, 1994